Tuesday 4 July 2023

Retirement trip - Day 36

 Had a day off the bike exploring Limerick. It's a very nice city with plenty to see and a friendly 'small town' atmosphere about it. The city centre is laid out in a grid so is very easy to navigate.

I visited two museums, Limerick Museum and The Hunt Museum, which gave a lot of information on the history of the city.

Limerick Museum is the plain fronted building, the building with the columns is a church.

There is also a small art gallery in a very pleasant park.

I visited King John's Castle and the interpretative centre has a very good display about its history.


Wandering around the city I saw statues commemorating actor Richard Harris,


television and radio presenter Terry Wogan,


and a sculpture commemorating the work of dockers at the city's quays. 


I also saw this interesting entrance to an auctioneer's yard.


I posted this photo on Facebook and my friend Sean replied with a period newspaper cutting.



1 comment: