Follow by Email. Type your e-mail address here and you'll be notified each time this blog is update

Monday, 28 March 2016

Glasgow C.H.E.E.R (part 2)

Well, that didn't quite go as planned!

As I'd mentioned in a previous post, yesterday was the Glasgow C.H.E.E.R Easter Egg bike run to raise funds for the children's hospital. I'd been the previous year and planned on going to this year's. I was very busy on Saturday getting my Traveller MOTed, working in the garage etc, and by evening was starting to feel a bit tired and run down, so I set my alarm and went to bed.
I awoke about 4 in the morning feeling really unwell and was violently sick. I had a terrible headache and my joints were very sore. I took some painkillers that just made me sick again, and my head was so sore that I couldn't lie down so had to try and sleep sitting up. I slept through my alarm and got up a couple of hours later than planned. This added to this being the night the clocks go back meant that I would be cutting it fine to get to the start of the run in time.
I decided I would just go straight to the hospital as see the bikes when they arrive. The weather was pretty poor - windy, cold and wet, but after taking some flu medicine I set off. As I neared the hospital I saw a lot of bikes heading in the opposite direction, and when I got to the carpark where the bikes were gathering, there was a solid stream of them leaving. I was feeling really cold and shivery by this time and as most folk were leaving, I didn't bother going in and just rode home.
Looks like despite the poor weather they had a good turnout, but most people left just after the ride.
Some photos from the Web:



The ride got good coverage on both STV and the BBC, and made the front page of some of today's newspapers.

More on the event's Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment