Sunday 23 August 2015

New camera

As I mentioned in a previous post, my camera suddenly stopped working, so the search was on for a new one. I'm not a very serious photographer - I just want something I can 'point and shoot' that hopefully gives reasonable results. After a lot of looking round the Internet, comparing prices, etc, I ended up buying a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX220.
This is a fairly standard compact camera, and compact is the word - it's tiny! (95 x 60 x 25 mm), so will easily fit into a pocket. There are plenty of other similar cameras on the market, but this one came up at the right price/spec. I'm not going to bore you with any technical details as I haven't bothered reading them, but the important things are: 18.2 megapixels, it recharges via a USB lead so I can recharge it in the topbox of my bike, when I put a 64GB SD card I had handy into it, it said it could take 1880 pictures, and it can shoot HD video.
I went for a walk round the village taking pictures and was very impressed by the quality. It was a very sunny day, and the following pictures are as they came from the camera other than resizing, no altering of the pictures has been done.
My Traveller outside my garage.
Yamaha SZR 660 'project' and 'spare' Traveller inside the garage. Light is solely what was coming in the door - no flash and no lights inside garage.
Entrance to old railway station. Line has long gone and is now a cyclepath. This was taken in the shade from the railway bridge with a small amount of zoom.
View up main street of village.
Village steeple. This has been a school, village hall, and meal market over the centuries, but never a church despite people mistaking it for one.
Statue on Steeple taken from same point as above photo, but using zoom on camera.
Postbox.

Label on postbox cut from picture above on computer to show quality of photo.

There's no manual with the camera, but you can download one from Sony's website. It gives you lots of info on the hundreds of things that appear on the screen, including what seems to be a special setting for photographing cats! (No, I haven't read it all yet!)
I didn't know about this before I went out, but the picture I took of my neighbour's cat, Tibby, came out OK.




I've very pleased with it as the photos seem to be of very high quality, it's very easy to use (I'll only ever use it on one setting!), and the size makes it easy to carry around. So hopefully better quality photos will appear in future posts!

Technical stuff if anyone's interested here.











1 comment:

  1. That looks like a nice simple camera. I always use our Canon point and shoot. Fits in my riding gear or purse when not on the bike.

    Pictures turned out well too. The gate for the bike path is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete