Tuesday 23 October 2012

...it started with a dream....

This is probably the weirdest post I've even done....


Last night I had a dream that I was in the café in the Burrell Collection in Glasgow. This is an art gallery filled with works donated to the people of Glasgow by shipping magnate Sir William Burrell. It's situated in Pollok Park, subject of a recent post by Stuart. This isn't very far from where Stuart and I grew up, and mr combo also spent a lot of his childhood nearby.

Back at the dream – I was sitting in the café drinking coffee when one of the staff came up to me and said, 'excuse me, but August Darnell would like to talk to you, but is too shy to approach you'. August was the lead singer in 80s band, Kid Creole and the Coconuts, and when I looked up he was standing there in his stage clothes! (Told you it was weird!). Can't remember any more of the dream, but when I got up I decided to go to the Burrell.

Details of the collection is here, but Burrell had collected an eclectic mixture of items – paintings, sculpture, furniture, armour, you name it, he collected it. It's housed in bright airy gallery with large windows that make the collection feel part of the park.


It was a very dull day so my photos are quite poor, but there's more pictures of the building here. I checked the café, but August wasn't there!


I good look round and who did I meet but Stuart. We had a good wander round before having a coffee, then heading off to nearby Maxwell Park, another childhood haunt where I met a former work colleague that I hadn't seen for twelve years! Could this day get any weirder? 

 
Maxwell Park has a pond that since my childhood has been 'naturised' and birds encouraged to settle.


When I was about three years old, my family visited Maxwell Park during the winter where I tested the strength of the ice on the pond by trying to walk on it! Needless to say, it wasn't strong enough and I fell through! (Stuart is convinced that this took place in another park, but I'm sure it was here. I'll check with our father to see if he remembers.)

So, a strange day full of coincidences, and after all, people always say you should 'follow your dreams'!
Here's August and his chums to round off the day:


No comments:

Post a Comment