Wednesday 11 January 2012

Unusual Fountain/Sculpture of the Week

Sorry for being a bit quiet lately, but I've had a hectic time at work and have driven over 1,000 miles (1,600 km) in the last 3 days going to jobs.
I was in Newcastle today and saw this charming statue.

Man with Pigeons by Andre Wallace
It's a life size bronze figure of a elderly man holding a pigeon with two others at his feet. It's so typical of the pose of someone who keeps racing pigeons, as he's staring at the sky hoping to see returning birds. When I was young, my father raced pigeons, so it's pose I recognise. There's certain irony about this as the statue is within an indoor shopping centre.
It's good to see 'ordinary' people captured in sculpture rather than the more common Victorian politicians. Sorry the picture's so poor as it was taken with my phone.
I found an article from a book online that gives more details, and mentions the sculpture was moved indoors following an attempted theft. With the rising price of scrap metal, statues, wall plaques, and wiring are starting to become very attractive to thieves.

1 comment:

  1. The sculpture really is beautiful. I agree that it´s better to have normal people than the supposed great and good. Great post, Norrie!

    ReplyDelete