Friday 16 November 2012

Friday bike

Not really my style of bike, but when I saw the pictures it really 'jumped out at me'.

 The 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400

This was shown at the recent EICMA show in Milan, this is the latest  version of the long running California custom/tourer. The engine is now 1380cc 8-valve, and produces 96 bhp, but more significantly for a bike like this, 120 Nm of torque at only 2750 rpm, so lots of low rev pull for a relaxed riding style.


What I particularly like about this bike is the styling - not only a mix of old and new, but everything seems to 'flow' together. I think it's fair to say that previous Californias (and numerous other Moto Guzzis) had a kind of 'bolted together out of what was lying around the factory' look.

Just look at how perfectly the rear edge of the panniers follow the line of the rear mudguard, itself beautifully smooth with the LED readlight made into it. And as for the 'cutouts' in the tank to clear the cylinder heads, perfectly executed.
It'll be in the shops next year, and I can't imagine it'll be cheap, but if that's the sort of bike you like, this seems to have it all.
More details on Moto Guzzi's website, more pictures (including the ones I've stolen) here, and the official promo video:




3 comments:

  1. I like its lines, sort of that folk used to use for 'vehicles of the future'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it strange that people think that in 'the future' everything will be Art Deco?

    ReplyDelete