Friday 9 June 2023

Retirement trip - Day 16

 Woke up during the night to the sound of very heavy rain! As I'd planned a fairly long riding day this wasn't what I wanted here, but by the time I got up the rain had stopped.

I packed the bike and headed to my first stop of the day, the George Orwell Route near Alcubierre. This was bit hard to find as there is only a wooden sign pointing down a gravel path. I rode past it before having to turn back. The route is a fairly rough gravel and stone path that I found quite difficult on a heavily laden bike on road tyres. I also have zero experience of off riding which didn't help. I eventually got to the carpark (well, flat bit of gravel), next to a reconstructed Civil War trench and made a video.


As most of you will know, writer George Orwell travelled to Spain to work as a reporter on the Civil War. However, when he saw what was happening he quickly volunteered to fight for the Government against Franco's Nationalist forces. He detailed his experiences in two books, Homage to Catalonia and Looking Back on the Spanish War, here published together Amazon link. Compulsory reading for anyone interested in The Spanish Civil War, and indeed mid 20th century European history.

Details of The George Orwell Route here.

After visiting the Route I headed on and for the next few hours I had huge changes in landscape from grape and olive farming, grain growing, barren land and beautiful mountains. Some photos taken on the way.





As I was going through the hills I made another video.


After that I had a fairly easy ride to my hotel in Guadalajara. Always reminds me of the lines from Steely Dan's My Old School.

She said, whoa, no
Guadalajara won't do, now
Well, I did not think the girl
Could be so cruel
And I'm never going back
To my old school

Although the song refers to the Guadajara in Mexico.

Approximate map



1 comment: