Saturday 17 June 2023

Retirement trip - Day 24

Had a day off the bike just wandering about Barcelona. It's an amazing city with increadable buildings on just about every street corner.

 



Loved that combined bench and street light.

Eventually I found my way to Barcelona's crowning glory, The still incomplete Sagrada Familia, an amazing church designed by Antoni Gaudi. I'm not normally a fan of churches, but its design and execution Is superb. The building started in 1882 and other than breaks during the Civil War and the Covid emergency, it has been worked on constantly since then.















Selfie taken with my phone. This might be my new Facebook profile pic.

Outside the Sagrada Familia I saw some men playing petanque (Catalan: petanca). Although this is thought of as a quintessentially French game, I have never seen it played in France, only in Belgium and now Spain.


 
I continued exploring the rest of the city with visits to Las Ramblas and the Picasso Museum. The Picasso Museum is particularly interesting as it shows his development from a 'conventional' artist to embracing the avant guard. You aren't allowed to take a bag in so mine was left in a locker. I forgot to take my camera out, so these photos were taken on my phone.






In Las Ramblas I saw a shop that sold examples of the Caganar. This is a Christmas tradition, mostly in Catalonia, but also present in other areas, and consists of the figure of (traditionally) a man squatting down doing the toilet that is included in Nativity scenes. Wikipedia entry
Originally this was a man in traditional dress, but more recently the figure has included politicians, sporting figuers, celebrities, royalty, etc. I had a look and there were a small number of British politicians, the only Scots being Alex Salmond and Gordon Brown, so a bit out of date.


I continued exploring the city and ended up at the beach. By now I was a bit tired, so didn't stay long as I wanted to walk back to the apartment (about 45 minutes). I might go back tomorrow.










A very good, if tiring, day and I've got another full day here tomorrow. I would definitely return to Barcelona, there is so much to see and do, and 'city breaks' where you buy flights and hotel rooms as a package are available. Something for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment