Wednesday 21 June 2023

Retirement trip - Day 27

 Left Argeles sur Mer and immediately searched for a petrol station. I had forgotten to fill up last night and the bike was almost empty. Using the sat nav managed to find one, but they insisted customers paid before filling, so I had to make a guess at how much I needed. Each fill up in Spain was about 17 - 18 Euros, so I paid 15, so I knew it would go in. I was surprised when the tank wasn't near full then realised the petrol was over 1.90 Euros a litre! I don't think it was that expensive when I was last in France.

I rode on into the Pyrenees on some wonderful roads through amazing scenery, and realised I was riding back along a road I'd ridden yesterday. Knowing it was particularly good, I started filming it. The camera did its bad habit of cutting out occasionally, but I've pieced together some of the route.


Eventually I got to my 'border for they day' as I entered Andorra. As Andorra is not a member of the EU nor a member of the Schengen Area, in theory this should be a 'hard border' with passport checks, etc. While there is a staffed border post, the staff sit in the office and allow people to drive through without stopping!



First town in Andorra is El Pas de la Casa, where I would be staying tonight, and I could see my hotel. However, I had somewhere else to visit first and headed over the hill out of town. First stop was a very big petrol station where I bought petrol for 1.38 Euros a litre! Andorra has probably the highest number of petrol stations by population, something to do with being much cheaper that its neighbours?

I rode over an amazing road, it was very windy so care was taken and continued on until I got to the town of Encamp. I can honestly say that Andorra is the most beautiful country I have visited. Amazing mountain views and scenery.

I had gone to Encamp to visit the Museu Nacional de l'Automòbil Website. Unfortunately, it was about to close for lunch so I wandered about Encamp for an hour. It's a very pretty town with a number of old buildings.



This old church was still in use and had Mass times posted on the door.





 I returned when it opened and admission was only 2.5 Euros. I could have claimed a pensioner's concession and got in for 1.5, but I wasn't going to when it was so cheap.

The museum is arranged over four floors with a good selection of cars and a collection of motorbikes on the top floor.




















This child's bike is notable as the only production bike ever built in Andorra.



I had a very good ride back to La Pas de la Casa over the hill. There's not many places you can stop and take a photo, but I did my best.




Zoomed in on this building I saw in the distance. They'll claim it's part of a skiing resort, but we know it's a Bond villian's lair!



On the way over I saw lots of motorcycles coming the other way. As one approached I could see it was fairly small and strangely familiar. An MZ ETZ250! I owned a number of these for many years, and you've got to admire someone touring on such a small bike.

Back in La Pas de la Casa, I wandered about the many shops. Andorra has much lower taxes than Spain or France, so bargains can be had by popping over the border. It's full of shops selling sporting gear (skiing, climbing and mountain biking are all very big here), perfume, and other high value items. Later, around 21:00 I looked out and it had been raining, but hopefully it has passed over.


1 comment:

  1. Lots of good photos again. Thanks Norman. I don't think that there's much level ground in Andorra 🙂.
    Sean OB

    ReplyDelete