Thursday 22 June 2023

Retirement trip - Day 29

 Just a short one today as the weather was so bad that I didn't take many photos and most of the riding was a bit boring.

Left Pierrefitte-Nestalis on a rather damp morning with the intention of spending a day riding some of the high passes. First up was the nearby Col du Soulor (1474 metres). The ride up to it was through thick mist and heavy rain, but it was reasonably clear at the summit.

Information board for cyclists (and very friendly dog) at summit


A group of older French riders were there


I headed on to the Adjoining Col d'Aubisque (1709 metres), but there was close to no visibility and I crawled along. Again it was reasonably clear at the summit and there were plenty of French riders.

Monument to the head of a cycling club. He had a terrible life - lost an arm in WW1 and sent to a concentration camp in WW2, dying just after he was liberated.

That's what's wrong these days - not enough cyclists wearing the correct trousers!


There are large bicycle sculptures in the Tour de France jersey colours. Saw a lot of these going down the valley which will be part of the TdF route next month

Because the weather and visibility was so bad, I abandoned plans to ride any more high passes (the two I had done were the highest), and headed downhill. For most of the rest of the day it was sunny intervals and heavy rain showers. It was interesting to see how within a couple of hours' ride the landscape had changed from high mountains to flat farmland then to forestry. I stopped for a break and something to eat at a supermarket and spoke to a Belgian rider who was in the first few days of a two week holiday, He was heading towards southern Spain, so I told him of where I had been.

The weather had improved enough that I could take my waterproofs off and it was a bit more pleasant and gradually got warmer. By the time I reached the outskirts of Bordeaux, my destination for tonight, it was very sunny and the temperature had got to to about 32C. Unfortunately, I got caught up in the commuting traffic and from the outskirts to my hotel was an hour and a quarter ride in very hot stop/start traffic! Was really glad to get to get there.

Map of the start and finish of today's ride. Due to the time I spent in the mountains and city, I rode for about 7 hours today.



2 comments:

  1. Well done you. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, yes it can get blistering hot especially in heavy traffic. When we were in California whenever we parked we ran to the nearest air conditioned air space, café etc to cool down same in Mexico when you drink water it just oozes out of your pores within seconds.

    ReplyDelete