Friday 12 August 2011

Friday bike






Altius Scimitar. Never heard of it? Neither had I! How about a 670cc Indian built diesel. I think this is based on the bike that was developed for various armies, which in turn was based on a Kawasaki KLR 650 (I think). Some details here although it's a bit difficult to understand.I love the phrase 'Acceleration and performance was slow for the 670cc, 33bhp at 5700rpm motorcycle, but pulled with steady perseverance' ! I think we know what they mean!
There was a lot of talk about this bike a few years ago, but I don't know if any army ended up using it. Have driven over a quarter of a million miles in diesel cars in the last 10 years, I know that a diesel engine without a turbo, intercooler, and electronic injection is a waste of time, so I don't hold out much hope for this bike.
Pretty unlikely to be sold here unless it's very cheap, but as Indian built Enfields aren't exactly budget priced, it's unlikely we'll ever see one.


No comments:

Post a Comment