Sunday 21 April 2013

On my travels

Sorry things have been a bit quiet on the blog, but my current job involves a lot of working away from home, and this coupled with getting some work done on the house (and buying the Yamaha), has meant that I haven't really had much to blog about.
I've been to some really nice places (plus one that wasn't so nice, so I'll not mention that!), unfortunately in the car, but now that the evenings are getting longer I've managed to take some photos after work.
A few weeks ago I was in Chesterfield, Derbyshire - famous for its church with the leaning spire.

Despite numerous stories as to the reason, the spire only started to lean after the original wooden tiles were replaced with much heavier lead.
There's lots of really good and well preserved architecture.

As well as some unusual street names!


Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Also worth a visit is Newmarket, Suffolk - home to lots of things to do with horse racing. Horse breeding and racing seems to be the major industry, and even the pavements are segregated with the piece next to the traffic for humans, and the bit behind the fence for horses.





Nice clock tower:


And in the window of a barber's shop was a very well restored Jawa twin port single (250cc?)



                                    (Extra joke in the name for Glaswegian football fans!)



Note the ethnically confused restaurant!

I also found a Gentleman's Club, unfortunately closed when I passed.


 I thought this was a good idea - a club where gentlemen could sip Madeira whilst discussing the topics of the day - where the best tailors were, where to buy monacles and cravats, whilst the womenfolk shopped for hats and ribbons.
The club also seemed to be interested in European folk culture, putting on performances by traditonal dancers from Poland and Lapland - well, I think that's what the sign meant.

I'll be working at home for the next while, so hopefully there will be more bike based posts.







No comments:

Post a Comment