Monday 12 September 2016

Another purchase

About a month after buying my Triumph Bonneville, I've now bought a Honda PCX 125.



I'd featured the PCX a few months ago as my Friday bike, but hadn't even considered buying one them. This is the first (and possibly still only) scooter to be fitted with an 'Idling stop' system where the engine cuts out if stopped for more than a few seconds and starts again when you twist the throttle.


You can switch it off, but you get used to it fairly soon.
It also has a fairly large luggage compartment under the saddle that can easily take a full face helmet.


The question is, why? The truth is I can't really answer that question. Up until about two months ago I was happy with two MZ Skorpion Travellers, one for touring and one for commuting to work. Then I felt like I needed a change as I'd only been riding Skorpions for 16 years, and MZs for about 28 - almost half my life! I bought the Bonneville to replace my 'touring' Skorpion, and had intended on keeping the 'commuting' one.
However, I started to feel that a Skorpion wasn't the ideal bike for my commute - about 15 miles (25 km) each way, mostly slow traffic, with only about 3 miles (5km) where I could go over 50 mph (80 km/h). I started thinking about what would be more suitable and decided on a scooter. I've been riding bikes for 41 years but have never owned one.
I saw this one advertised near my work, contacted the seller, and went to view it. I took it for a test ride and within a couple of minutes it just felt 'right' and a lot of fun to ride, so I bought it.
I've already sold my white Skorpion and my silver one will be for sale soon. I've also got my Yamaha SZR660, which will be sold and that will leave me with:

Triumph Bonneville - 'touring' bike
Honda PCX125 - 'commuting' bike
1972 Honda CL350 - 'hobby' bike.

So, changed days in my garage!






2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your scooter. It will be interesting to see how you like it instead of riding a motorcycle. If you have stop and go traffic in your commute, you just may appreciate the scooter.

    I don't think I've ever sat on a scooter. Weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete