Friday 14 October 2011

Pylons

Well, you can't say I don't blog of different subjects, and today it's electricity pylons. This is a contentious issue in some parts of Scotland just now, with a plan to erect a string of very big pylons across part of the country and some people protesting against it. I don't know enough about that particular project to express a view, but there are probably other blogs and websites about it if you're sufficiently interested.
Here in the UK the design of pylons hasn't changed since the 20s, so it was decided to hold a competition for a new design and there's a gallery of the entries. Lots of really groovy looking ones.
In France, the pylons are more 'hourglass' shaped than in the UK, and my wife loved them as she said they were more 'feminine' in form (you can she was an artist). I couldn't find a photo of 'normal' French pylons, but I did find these:






You've got to admit, these are pretty cool looking, but these in Iceland are just something else:





I'm not sure if these are just proposed, or have actually been built, but imagine seeing these going across a hillside!
This takes me to my view on the subject - why should we only have one design? We have to have pylons (cabling underground is far too expensive and raises maintenance problems), so why shouldn't we have a variety of designs? More ornate or interesting ones could be positioned where cable cross roads and on hilltops, as like roadside sculpture, they would help to brighten up otherwise tedious journeys. After all, we live in different houses and wear different clothes, so why shouldn't something as mundane as electricity pylons be interesting and varied?

2 comments:

  1. I think the Icelandic ones would give me the heebie-jeebies if I came across them unexpectedly at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a science fiction loving kid here in the states, I always thought the ones over here looked like giant robots walking across the country side strung together. Those Icelandic ones are wild. As the planet becomes more populous we'll be seeing more and more of that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete